Deleting a misdemeanor charge of your history

Bad behavior in the past should not spoil forever the future of a person, although very often it happens. The criminal justice system of the United States punishes criminal behavior and requires people to disclose information about their criminal past to potential employers, universities and licensing agencies. If you have a misdemeanor on your record, you may be able to close or delete the record. The specific process varies slightly in each state, but the general process is relatively uniform.


  1. Visit your local police department and asked whether the cancellation of registrations is available. Not all states allow you to remove a misdemeanor charge of your history. New York, for example, has a cancellation process for those convicted of criminal behavior.
  2. Ask the manager of your department of state police on eligibility for cancellation. If your state allows the records are closed, you must determine if you are eligible. For example, in Michigan, only you must have an offense, and you are not eligible for cancellation until they have been five years of your sentence.
  3. Get an application or a request to withdraw / cancel / delete / remove the misdemeanor. Once you’ve determined whether you are eligible for cancellation, you must fill out the form asking the court to withdraw / remove the registration of your offense. The application will vary in each state; Visit your nearest justice department to find out where to get the appropriate form for your state.
  4. Fill out the form truthfully. Many forms request you to explain the circumstances surrounding your minor offense and request that you indicate if you have been convicted of any other offense.
  5. Deliver the completed form to the court where you passed sentence. Follow any specific procedure for the state. The court will explain any procedure you should follow (and provide a copy of your petition to the state prosecutor’s office), Meets these procedures and deadlines and other instructions issued by the court.

Tips & Warnings

  • Once the form has been delivered will depend on the short decide whether to grant your request. Delivery to court all documents will help you make that decision (as evidence of volunteer work, signed statements testifies about your good behavior, etc.).
  • The law is constantly changing and is full of difficulties for those seeking handle their own legal matters. This article does not attempt to provide legal advice. It is strongly recommended that you seek the assistance of a lawyer in your area.